Saturday, May 1, 2010

Du vin, du pain, du... chips?

First day in France! We had a long trip yesterday, about 3 hours longer than expected due to traffic in Belgium *note to self: remember to find a new route back home!*. Oh well, no matter. We're here and that's what counts. We've rented a small trailer-like place. It's really small, and moving around in here is, well, difficult. On the other hand that makes it all the more cozy, so no complaints there! The kids were really tired yesterday evening, which they demonstrated by going completely insane and not wanting to go to sleep. I guess I understand that: they were just so tired they didn't feel tired anymore. There must be an English epression for it, I guess... Anyway, after we put them into their beds successfully we grabbed a bottle of wine and chips and watched an episode of The Office (US) (one of the more brilliant comedy shows at the moment, in my opinion!), then wend to bed early. It'd been a long day for us as well :).


This morning we went out to the boulangerie to buy ourselves some breakfast (croissants and baguette). Then we put the youngest back to sleep again, because he had slept way too short last night. After his nap we decided to go out and see what's there to do around here. But, unfortunately there's not much else to do because of the fact that it's Labor Day here, so everything's closed. (By the way, this is cool: I just read about Labor Day online and found out that in the US Labor Day marks the beginning of the NFL and college football seasons! YAY to that, because I'm a HUGE American Football fan!)


This afternoon we drove around for a bit (the kids actually falling asleep in the back of the car) and found out that France is kind of deserted at days like these. I don't know, perhaps they're all out celebrating at some huge festivity that we don't know about. Well, in the end we decided to turn around and head back "home". So now the kids are watching Chicken Little on one laptop, the wife is reading her book and here I am working on my blog's layout and typing this post on the second laptop (yeah, we do kind of seem to be a decadent bunch, don't we?).


Anyway, I've been working on this blog's layout for a while useing a program I downloaded (it's called Artisteer, ever heard of it?). It works really nice, except for the fact that I can't save anything I make because it's a trail version. I actually did make something really nice which I could publish to Blogger.com (directly into my layout settings, sweet!), but perhaps I didn't do it all right, because the way it looks now is a bit different from what I had at first, when I published it. I'll learn to use it and when I do, this blog will look awesome :D.


Time to go for now. Going to go outside and scare off the rain (not sure how I'm going to do that yet, any suggestions?) and then make dinner: soup and hot dogs. Yeah, as I said, everything is closed today, so no shops to buy some decent food. Oh well, I guess it's decent for holidays :).


See ya.

0 comments: