Friday, May 14, 2010
Well, that turned out to be quite a short holiday.

As I wrote earlier, it was all very small there, the weather was just bad (we were happy when the rain would stop pouring from the sky for a couple of hours so we could go out and actually DO something), and it was cold. We only had one tiny radiator there, which wasn't enough for us all to keep warm. The kids would wakt up in the morning with ice cold hands and feet. And on top of it all, on Tuesday the weather forecast actually predicted snow by the end of the week. That was our cue to decide and go home. We drove back home that very afternoon.

This does actually sound very complainy and bad. It wasn't. While we were there, we did have a lot of fun and relaxed quite a bit (I watched Wall-E with Noa on the laptop one night, hot chocolate in hand :)). On Sunday we went to see a castle, Haut-Koenigsbourg, which was great. I always like things that come from the Middle Ages (somehow it always intrigues me, maybe that is why I'm also always interested in the Middle-Ages kind of fantasy books and games and stuff...?). And on Monday, we went to Colmar to look around there for a bit. It turned out to be a very nice town, all with (I don't know the English word for it. I looked it up on Google Translate, and it gives back the terms "timbered houses" and "lattice". Does that make sense?), well, cool looking houses and old streets and stuff. Well, just picture it this way: imagine a town, small and cute, and add snow and Christmas lights, trees and mood to it. Well, then you have Colmar (only did we see it without the snow and the Christmassy things). Very nice. Bought a new XBox 360 game there: Madden NFL '10! As I'm a big American Football fan I just couldn't stand around and not buy the game when I saw it lying in a store there. The '11 game will some out soon enough I guess, but this one was already on sale, so it didn't really cost me anything much. So yay, I couldn't wait to play it (by now, I have, and it rocks!). Well, all in all we've really had a good holiday and I'm glad we went. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Oh, holiday pictures!! I've decided not to post them on a separate website (like flickr.com or anything), but instead I'll put them on my Facebook page. So for anyone wishing to see them and aren't in my friends list on Facebook, add me, so you'll be able to see them! (I've just started adding photo albums yesterday evening, starting with my 2003 holiday in Scotland, so I have a LOT to upload there! So maybe it'll take a while before this holiday's pics are up there. Bear with me for a bit :)).

So, back home again... Last Saturday (May 8th) was my birthday (happy birthday to me!). I'm 29 already. Can't believe how fast it's all going. Somehow I don't really like that fact. Sometimes I kind of long back for years back, when I was younger, didn't have many obligations and could go wherever I wanted to go whenever I wanted to. Those days seem to be over a bit. Perhaps they'll come back when the kids are out on their own and are all grown up... But never will those times come back fully, I think. Don't misunderstand me, I'm happy with the life I have. I have the greatest wife, the funniest and cutest kids one could wish for and a good job, so there's really no reason for me to complain. But the amount of freedom I had until a few years ago, well, I sometimes kind of miss that. Oh well, it'll pass I guess. Maybe this is what men in ther midlife crisis are suffering from. Only, I'm not really suffering from it. Plus, I'm not in my midlife yet, so I'm also not in a midlife crisis. LOL! Way to draw that conclusion, haha! If any of you readers has any tips on how to tackle those kind of feelings, let me know! :) 

Ok, back to my birthday. I celebrated it with my parents (who gave me an iPod Touch, which is absolutely fantastic!) and sister and my brother in law. I couldn't do the real celebration party last Saturday however, because a good friend of mine, G, had his bachelor party that day. Because the party was in the east of the country, near where my parents live, I drove to my parents' place the night before and took Marten with me, as Hanneke had G's wife-to-be's bachelor party that day as well, so my parents could babysit Marten. We all went to Dedemsvaart to pick him up from his parents' house. We hoisted him in a cow suit (he looked hilarious!), gave him a big bag of liquor and snacks to walk around with all day, then want out golfing (well, it actually was Pitch 'n' Putt, which is a smaller version of normal golf (you use two clubs: a driver and a putter)). After that we went out to dinner at a two hour all-you-can-eat BBQ/grill restaurant. Needless to say, I ate MUCH! :) When we were done we drove to Zwolle (my old city where I lived a few years when I studied there) to go out. It was great to see all those places where I've gone out so many times nearly ten years ago again. Finally, around 3am we decided it was enough. We all had fun (and more than enough alcohol in our blood for that matter!), so I was driven home by one of the friends, who had to take a major detour for that (thanks again for that!). Anyway, great party, let's do it again sometime!


So then, tomorrow's my big day. Unfortunately quite a lot of people have cancelled for tomorrow, which doesn't leave a lot of people who will actually come and celebrate my 29th birthday. YOU ALL BETTER COME NEXT YEAR, OR I'LL HAVE YOU! LMAO!

And oh! Hanneke has promised a self-made Mexican dinner for tonight! Yum! Add some wine and a movie (might be The Proposal) and we'll have a good evening.

Time to stop for now. Bye!

0 comments: